The George Fredrick designed Baltimore Conservatory, in Druid Hill Park, was built during the 1800’s and was known as the ‘Palm House.’ The goal of this project was to increase public access, enjoyment and educational potential of this landmark facility. Waldon Studio Architects oversaw the design and construction of two new 1,200 square foot display and reception pavilions to the North and South of the original Palm House for Seasonal plant displays and meeting spaces, as well as, gift and ticket areas. In addition, the Palm House and Orchid House interiors and plantings were enhanced, the existing propagation houses were converted into three Educational Display Greenhouses, and ADA accessibility was provided to all the Houses.
The redevelopment of the complex was spearheaded by the Baltimore Conservatory Association, and the Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks.
Druid Hill Park, Maryland
Baltimore Conservatory Association
Historic Preservation, Renovation