The Jefferson building was originally constructed prior to the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904, burned and rebuilt shortly after the fire. It is a twelve-story steel frame building with masonry infill exterior walls designed in the Second Renaissance Revival (1890-1920) style. It was utilized as an office building up and thru 2001. Waldon Studio Architects renovated the building and converted into an IHG Candlewood Suites Hotel with 103 extended stay hotel guest rooms, laundry, fitness and gathering spaces. Updated life safety measures were installed including a new fire suppression system, elevator hoistway and stairway pressurization and a new fire stair for the entire height of the building that eliminated the need for exterior fire escapes. Elevator hoistway equipment was replaced with new equipment in two of the existing three elevator shafts and the third elevator shaft was removed to allow for a laundry chute to the basement commercial laundry facility. A split-level floor on the upper floors of the building accommodates three multi-level guest rooms, with living space on the entry level and a bedroom on the upper level connected by an internal spiral stair.
International Hospitality Group (IHG)